Things to do close to Disney World Orlando Florida
Things to do in Florida - Close to Disney
The Walt Disney World Resort located in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, near Orlando, is the flagship of Disney’s worldwide theme park empire. It is, by far, the most popular theme park resort in the world. Some visitors describe it as a place of magic, wonder, and fantasy; others speak of fun, excitement, and relaxation; and still others complain of crowds, artifice, and unrelenting tackiness. If you are one of those that prefer to do other-than-Disney on your Orlando Florida vacation or a seasoned Disney visitor looking for a change for a few days, you will not be disappointed with your options. There are so many other things to do close to Disney World.
Just a little background about the area around and close to Disney – When someone visits Disney World, most likely they stay in one of the vacation homes in Kissimmee which is a city in Osceola County. Kissimmee is a popular Central Florida tourist destination because of its sunny weather, Spring Training baseball, and close proximity to Disney World. It is located just South of Orlando in what is commonly referred to as the “Kissimmee-St. Cloud” area, due to the short distance between it and the adjacent city of St. Cloud. It is centered directly between St. Cloud and Disney World on Highway 192 and leads into route 535, which leads directly into Disney World theme parks. Most tourist activity is centered around Highway 192 (also known as Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and Vine Street in the city of Kissimmee). Since the opening of Disneyworld in 1971 Kissimmee has been primarily a tourist-driven town. Before that the town relied on agriculture and ranching, with a population of just over four thousand through the 1950’s.
The following are some of things you can do close to Disney World. All the following activities are good alternatives to going to the Orlando area theme parks on a daily basis. Futher, all these actiities are in close proximity of our Orlando Florida vacation rentals. Why not book our Florida homes for your next Disney area vacation?
- Florida EcoSafaris: at Forever Florida (Zipline Safari). Journey deep into Forever Florida, a 4700 acre eco-ranch and wildlife conservation area, preserved just as nature intended. This beautiful site boasts 9 distinct Florida ecosystems and an endless array of natural flora and fauna including alligators, black bears, nearly two hundred species of birds and the endangered Florida panther. Choose your own fully-guided adventure: Coach Safari, Horseback Safari or, soar through the treetops on the NEW Zipline Safari. Reservations are required. This attraction is located at 4755 N. Kenansville Road, St. Cloud, Florida 34773.
Approximate driving distance to this attraction from our Orlando Florida vacation homes is 48 miles and it will take about an hour by car.
- Boggy Creek Airboat Rides: Naturalists often refer to Boggy Creek wetlands as, ‘The Central Florida Everglades’. Take one of these airboat rides for an up-close look at exotic birds, turtles. Rides are open from 9:00 am -5:30 pm and start at 2001 Southport Road, Kissimmee, FL, 34746.
This attraction is approximately 24 miles or 45 minutes from our Orlando Florida vacation homes.
- Lake Tohopekaliga: Known locally as “Lake Toho,” it is the largest lake in Osceola County, and is renowned for some of the best bass fishing in the state.
This attraction is approximately 17 miles or 30 minutes from our Orlando Florida vacation homes.
- Cypress Lake Airboat Tours: Scenic airboat ride through an undeveloped region of Florida where alligators and bald eagles are commonly encountered. The tours operate on the St. John's River just east of Kissimmee off Hwy 192. The St Johns River has more alligators than any other body of water in Florida.
The tour is about one hour in duration and the cost varies from $35-$45 based on age.
- Shingle Creek Regional Park: It is is located at 4265 W. Vine Street (7 miles east of I-4 on US 192 (Exit 64A). It can be accessed via US 192 near Mile Marker 15. Call 407-742-7800 for operating hours and directions. This nature park that encompasses 1,033 acres of natural Florida along the banks of beautiful Shingle Creek-Headwaters to the Everglades. The park features hiking/canoeing trails, picnicking and play areas placed amongst the remnants of the historic Shingle Creek community’s pioneer homes and farms.
This attraction is approximately 15 miles or 25 minutes from our Orlando Florida vacation homes.
Orlando Florida offers many attractions besides Disney World. If you are looking to visit parks other than Disney, there are many attractions close to Disney World. If you are in a mood to see other things close to Disney or interested in a dinner show close to Disney, you will find many alternatives for your vacation in Orlando Florida area - all close to our Orlando Florida vacation rentals.